Thursday, September 14, 2006

Attachment
Hi all!

Sorry for being unable to turn up at the chalet..
as a form of apology, let me briefly tell you all what I've been up to all this while.

I've been on attachment to PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers), a large organization - one of the big 4 accounting firms in Singapore. The work load here is ok (it's actually quite slack for now- probably to let us get use before they throw all the work at us) but I have actually learnt a lot.

The department that I'm attached to is under the Tax department.. under Human Resource Services.. dealing with global mobility. It is a totally different aspect of HR. The HR that we've studied so far deals mainly with corporate HR - HR within the organisation - and that might seem mundane and to many "just-another-load-of-paperwork". I would have to say that being in PwC has really opened my eyes as to what HR can cater for.

In doing global mobility, we actually have to do a lot of cost calculations to see how much it will cost to relocate an assignee, liasing with the assignee and our people that are on-site over at the client's office, constant updating of the database as the database can be accessed anytime, anywhere.

All in all, it's a totally different perspective of HR. Although it does feel that whatever learnt in school doesn't seem to be all that useful here, I'm glad I did pay attention.

HRMS proved to be very important! The company does not use Times HR Software but uses some other HR software that will keep track of your time - the no. of hours you do a certain task.

Training & Development is one of the main focus here - they have a unit set aside for training purposes and even a level of classrooms to accomodate trainees!

Compensation Management was useful - in relocating any assignee, you must know the compensation and benefits allocated to them (eg. difference between expatriate and one on international assignment)

Industrial Relations didn't really apply to my work scope but it aided me to know my rights and entitlements.

Therefore, although many say that whatever learnt in school and whatever practiced outside is totally different, there will definitely be some parts that are more applicable than others.. it only depends on which.

My colleagues are a friendly bunch of people and the managers are real nice as well. They're extremely helpful and warm.. I love them! :)

That's about it for my attachment..

On a lighter note..
I'm still going back to school for dance lessons. Although it's real tiring to be rushing from work (Raffles Place) to school, I think it's worth it.. at least it's a form of relaxation after a long day of work.

We'll be starting on a new latin dance coming tue - Jive and we've done the basics for waltz the past tue.. You all are welcomed to join! If dance is something you're interested in and have a passion for, just come join us. The "seniors" (more of experience than age) are helpful and the instructors patient in teaching.. besides.. it's cheaper to take it in school than outside.. :P

I'll end here..
Enjoy the holidays!
All the best for tomorrow's results!!! *hopes*

Deb


Yukino blogged at 9:19 AM